Town of Historic Granville, Tennessee
931.653.4151

Town of
Historic Granville, Tennessee

931.653.4151
Granville Museum
169 Clover Street • Granville, TN 38564
remembering1940slogo

History

History of Sutton Homestead

The historic Sutton Homestead is one of the oldest homes in Granville.  When the land was owned by James W. Shepherd, the local area was known as Shepherdsville. The Shepherd family developed the town of Granville. In 1874, Mr. Shepherd sold the land to A.B. Holleman. R.J. and Amanda Montgomery purchased the land from Mr. Holleman and built the house in 1880.

 

On September 4, 1894, Dr. B.L. Simmons purchased the house and lot from the Montgomery home and lot. Dr. Simmons acquired additional land through the years until he owned the entire block. Dr. Simmons was a prominent Granville physician who operated his practice from the home. He and his wife Mary Eliza Holmes Simmons had six children while living in the home.

In 1917, Dr. Simmons sold the property to T.B. and Maude Willoughby. The Willoughby’s owned the property a very short time before selling it to O. Bascom and Nannie Agee Brown, parents of Ethel who married Ben Sutton.  Mr. Brown passed away in 1947. His only child, Ethel Brown Sutton inherited the property. Ethel and Ben owned and operated T.B. Sutton Store. The moved in the home in 1947 and remodeled it. This was their home until Ben’s death in 1975. The Sutton children, Elizabeth and Orus, inherited the property.

In 1980, Lloyd and Jewell Clark purchased the property, remodeled the house, and added the buildings behind the home.  Historic Granville purchased the property in June of 2011.

 


Donate Online

Donate online through the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee or become a Friend of the Granville Museum.

Shop AmazonSmile

Shop with AmazonSmile and benefit the Granville Museum.

Tennessee Vacation

© 2015 - 2017{ GranvilleTN.com • All Rights Reserved • Website Design by Visionary Design Group